Keto breakfast casserole is not only healthy, it can be a very delicious treat if prepared well. and the ingredients are not cast on stone, you can modify the recipes according to your preference, need and accessibility.
What is important is that the recipes still adhere to all the acceptable keto list of foods. It is imperative to gather as many recipes as you possibly can so as to give yourself a wide variety of options. Nobody want a monotonous diet, they are depressing and a reason most people fail.
In this article we take a look at some few recipes that should get you started as a keto dieter. Remember, this is just ideas to help you adopt, adapt and also make your own dishes.
We took a look at the classic keto casserole with and casseroles without eggs and one Mexican, and one veggie casserole to bring a little diversity. Happy cooking !
- 1 – Meat and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 2 – Keto Casserole : Bacon, Egg, and Spinach
- 3 – Keto Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- 4 – Keto breakfast casserole without eggs
- 5 – Veggie Packed Breakfast Casserole
- Keto diet list of our main ingredients
- Tools used to make the casserole
- Freezing The Keto Breakfast Casserole
1 – Meat and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
This is a gluten-free low carb breakfast casserole recipe with sausage or any meat of your choice and a cheese of your choice. This ingredient is easy and do not require a lot of ingredients to prepare. Also you can have 9 serving for this dish which some you can freeze for future use if you prefer.
Preparation time; 45 minutes
- and cheese.
- sauté the garlic in a skillet until it release a sweet aroma
- add the meat of your choice and mix well
- add the vegetables of your choice, make sure they don’t have too much water. That’s why roasting them is the best way.
- Whip your eggs and spices in a bowl.
- Get your 9×9-inch casserole dish ready. You have an option of lining it up. It doesn’t matter whether you cover it with foil or not.
- put all your ingredient in the casserole dish and place it in an oven for about 40 minutes or until it is completely cooked.
2 – Keto Casserole : Bacon, Egg, and Spinach
Making the Low-Carb Bacon, Egg, and Spinach Breakfast Casserole is so easy and pretty fast. you can even prepare this dish ahead of time to consume later.
Preparation time; 51 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups of egg whites
- 2 eggs
- Cooked and crumbed six slices of bacon
- 1 cup of fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 to 3 cups of frozen spinach. (Before you start preparing the recipe, make sure to thaw these and drain off the water)
- Half chopped of green pepper
- Half cup of red chopped onion
- Half chopped red pepper
- 1 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar or a combo of cheddar and white cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- switch on the oven on to preheat it at 375 degrees.
- With cooking spray : pray a 9×13 baking dish.
- On medium/high heat, put a skillet .
- Take the chopped vegetables on the skillet. Make sure the spinach is not added to the chopped veggies.
- For a few minutes, sautee all chopped veggies (until the veggies are soft)
- The sautéed veggies must be places at the bottom of the baking dish, spread throughout the dish.
- Add the sautéed veggies in layer, and then add the spinach.
- in a small bowl whisk the egg whites and eggs.
- Ensure you season the veggies mixture with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies.
- Creating another layer by adding the crumbled bacon and shredded cheese.
- Keep the mixture in the oven to bake them for 35 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven.
- After it has cooled off, the dish will be ready for serving.
3 – Keto Mexican Breakfast Casserole
There is nothing on this dish that screams “bland”. This casserole dish is famous for its mouth-watering flavor because food must be savored.
Moreover, it is easy to freeze for future consumption. For smokier flavorful taste, roast the pablano peppers. But, you could dice and sauté them in a skillet instead, whatever tickles your fancy!
Preparation time; 45 minutes
This is a colorful casserole that will sure bring you delicious flavors;
- 12 whole eggs
- 1-pound ground chorizo sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup roasted poblano peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup onions, minced
- 1/3 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- top with queso fresco and fresh sliced avocado this is just an option.
- let the oven be turned on broil.
- Let the sheet pan be lined with foil
- Coating the lined sheet pan with olive oil, also add 2 medium poblano peppers.
- The poblano must remain in there roasting till the skins are charred.
- Remove them and put them in a glass bowl
- Leave them in a plastic wrap for a few minutes so at to make the skins easier to peel off.
- Chop them after you have peeled the skin off and removed the skins.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350F.
- Chorizo sausage must be allowed to cook till they are brown using a skillet.
- On another bowl, beat two eggs for 2 minutes using either; a hand mixer immersion blender or hand whisk.
- Then drain the brown chorizo and then add them to the eggs bowl.
- Take the ¼ cup of minced onion and sauté them for few minutes.
- Get the sautéed onions and all the other ingredients into the egg bowl caring to keep a cup of shredded cheese for later.
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole baking dish with a non-stick spray.
- Add the mixture into the casserole dish and top it with the remaining cup of shredded cheese.
- Leave the mixture in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the eggs have set.
- Don’t cut into it until it has slightly cooled.
- The casserole can be topped with cilantro, sliced avocado and crumbled queso fresco before serving for extra flavor, this is optional.
4 – Keto breakfast casserole without eggs
Are you tired of eating eggs? Do you want to add a little variety on your Keto breakfast? Keep reading because we have great recipe for you to try out.
Although it might not be the most photogenic diet, but it sure is packed with great flavors that will get you asking for more!
Preparation time; 50 minutes
- Chopped 1 large green bell pepper,
- chopped 1 large red bell pepper, (or any color of peppers)
- 1 tsp. + 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- Spike Seasoning to taste (any all-purpose seasoning mix you prefer)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 12 links (about 10 oz.) turkey or pork breakfast sausage links
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella, grated
- Make sure that your oven is preheated to 450F/230C.
- Put a non-stick spray on a medium-sized baking dish.
- Take the colorful peppers and cut off stem part and seeds.
- Chop the peppers into inches long pieces.
- Place peppers into the baking dish
- Toss the peppers in 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Use the spike seasoning and fresh-ground black pepper to sprinkle over the peppers.
- Place the mixture in the oven and bake them for about 20 minutes.
- heat the rest of the olive oil in a non-stick pan, while the peppers cook.
- add the sausages in to the olive oil in a non-stick pan, allow I to cook over medium-high heat until they’re nicely browned on all sides for about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the sausages into a cutting board, and cut them into thirds.
- The cooked peppers can now be mixed with the cut sausages and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the oven, while turning on the broil. Then sprinkle grated Mozzarella over the sausage-pepper mixture and broil for 1-2 minutes
- Take the mixture back to the oven and or until the cheese is nicely melted and starting to brown.
- Serve as desired.
You can use any kind of meat and follow the steps. However, meat will need to be pre-cooked before you prepare the dish. Moreover, you can play around with food and add vegetables of your choice and create amazing and delicious and yet keto friendly meals.
5 – Veggie Packed Breakfast Casserole
This is an ideal breakfast casserole for all those who want to take a break from eating meat or are just vegetarian. You still get your delicious, nutrient-dense breakfast from this recipe.
Preparation time; 50 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado oil
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 10 ounces Sliced Mushrooms
- Chopped 2 cups of Broccoli
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 2 Bell Peppers or red peppers
- 10 Eggs
- 2-3 Tablespoons Sriracha Hot Sauce (if you prefer it too hot, you are welcome to add more here)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese
- The oven must be preheated at 375 F,
- The 9 X 13 baking dish must be greased and set aside
- On a medium frying pan, add avocado oil over medium heat
- Put minced garlic, mushrooms, onions in the heated frying pan and cook for about 4 minutes
- Switch off the heat
- Add bell peppers and broccoli and allow them to set
- Whisk together eggs, sriracha, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl
- Let the egg mixture be poured evenly to your 13 X 9 baking dish,
- And then add half of the veggies on the baking dish on top of the egg mixture
- Spread the shredded cheese all over the mixtures.
- And then add the remaining veggies. the shredded cheese, then remaining half of veggies.
- Bake in the oven for 35- 40 minutes
- After allowing it cool off, you can cut the casserole in 12 even pieces.
Keto diet list of our main ingredients
Studies proved that if you make breakfast the largest meal of the day, you are more likely to have a lower BDI (body mass index) ! (source)
This is the list of your most common ingredients with tips on how to prepare them.
Eggs are so versatile which make them superfoods that are good addition to ketogenic diet because they are nutrient-dense loaded with high protein, good fat, essential minerals and fairly low carbs.
One good thing about eggs is the many ways that you can do with them in your keto diet; keto snack, breakfast as either; scrambled, fried, boiled, poached. Moreover, eggs make a fantastic, moist binder for meatballs, casseroles, etc.
And for a fantastic, scrumptious and fluffiest eggs imaginable, add some heavy whipping cream. Make a light and airy eggs that are also rich and savory by scrambling the whipping cream and the eggs together.
This is where all the creativity is manifested. There are a number of meat product that can be viable to add to your casserole;
- Ground beef
The goal is to use the meat that can mix and bind well with the ingredients. The meat will need to be pre-cooked before it can be added to the casserole ingredients.
Adding vegetables to your casserole is both healthy and great for flavor. Moreover, vegetables are more filling because of the high fiber or roughage which is excellent for weight management. Like meat choices, these will also need a pre-cooking however you prefer; steam, pan fry, or roast before they are added into the casserole.
Adding broccoli and cauliflower in your healthy casserole is the best option. You have to be careful to prepare the veggies in a way that get the moisture out of the veggies especially water based veggies like tomatoes and zucchinis.
Any hard cheese will do for delicious casseroles. We avoid processed chasse as much as possible.
Tools used to make the casserole
This recipe does not need a lot of tools;
Freezing The Keto Breakfast Casserole
You can freeze your keto breakfast casserole for up to 3 months. It is up to you to decide to either freeze your assembled casserole ingredients without baking it or rather bake it first and then freeze the left over. And this is how you can do that;
- after following all the instruction on making the casserole, you skip the part about baking it.
- Using a plastic wrap, cover the casserole.
- Then cover it with a foil and then place it in a freezer.
- Too refreeze it, you simply move it from the freezer to the fridge allowing it to thaw overnight.
- Then put it in a room temperature the following day and then bake it for 35 of 40 minutes or until it is completely baked.
- You have an option of portioning it or freezing the whole bunch of leftover.
- Allow the well-cooked casserole to sit in a room temperature to allow it to cool completely.
- Place the low carb breakfast casserole on a cooling rack and let it cool completely to room temperature.
- Let the casserole be covered with a plastic wrap and then a foil on top to place it in a freezer.
- Let it stay in the fridge overnight to thaw.
- After a couple of hours, unwrap it and cover lightly.
- Then let your casserole finish thawing in the fridge to let the condensation evaporate to prevent the casserole from getting soggy.
- reheat the casserole in the microwave or oven after it has completely thawed.
- The oven is the best option as the casserole will retain its texture, microwaves can easily make the casserole too moist or watery.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So, even the Keto dieters need to invest time in learning interesting ways to have healthier and yet delicious breakfast. Remember, practice makes perfect. If you want an alternative, you can make a vegan keto breakfast.